Too much?

I wrote this in Feb 09, and never sent it. Recently I received news that I may have to attend a hearing (so my car insurance premium doesn’t increase). A year later, I’m still dealing with Ares Geovanos’ idiocy.

I had considered blacking out his name for his privacy. But what the heck, he messed up good, so this is now going onto the interwebs. Here’s a letter to his parents:

Mr and Mrs. Geovanos:

I’m writing to you regarding a recent accident in Harvard Square, in which Mr. Ares Geovanos was involved.

My partner and I were returning from Southbridge, MA, celebrating an upcoming wedding. It was the first time we’ve used our car in nearly three weeks, but unfortunately public transit cannot take us to Southbridge. It was late, and it had been sleeting and raining all night.

As we stopped for a red light at the intersection of JFK and Mt. Auburn, we spotted Mr. Geovanos standing in a crosswalk on the far side of the intersection. He had a hand on (presumably) his bike, chatting with a friend, did not cross the street while he had the green light.

We were stopped behind an SUV, which was stopped behind a taxi. We were in the left lane on JFK, a two lane, one way street. As the light turned green for us, the taxi driver decided to make a right across one lane of traffic, creating chaos and confusion, blocking both lanes of traffic. The SUV swerved around the taxi to continue on JFK, and I followed, keeping an eye on the taxi in case it changes its mind.

Just as the SUV crossed the crosswalk, swerving to avoid Mr. Geovanos, we see him spit on the driver side window. Within the next few seconds, my attention was divided between going around the taxi and Mr. Geovanos, taking care not to hit either one of them. When I looked back to the SUV, it was too late – it had slammed on its brakes to a dead stop, and we slid right into its back bumper. This was followed by cheering and celebration from Mr. Geovanos and his group of friends.

We exchange information with the woman driving the SUV, who said that she had slammed on her brakes because she was startled by the pedestrian who spat on her window. We both identified Mr. Geovanos as the pedestrian responsible, and a Harvard University police officer near the scene apprehended him, then turned him over to a Cambridge Police officer, who provided me with your contact information.

In seeing his reaction to the SUV, I can only assume that Mr. Geovanos holds some unknown resentment toward the driver, or her vehicle. Both my partner and I are avid cyclists, and found his behavior to be irresponsible, dangerous. and disrespectful to others sharing the road, whether they’re other cyclists, cars, or pedestrians.

I’d like share the details and consequences of Mr. Geovanos’ seemingly harmless action.

The vehicle that was spat at:
2007 Cadillac Escala, luxury SUV
Kelly Blue Book value: 37,700 – 38,500
Gas mileage: 12 mpg city, 18-19 mpg highway
Seats up to 8

At the time of accident, this vehicle carried a driver only, with an empty trunk. According to the driver, she has made one payment on the vehicle, and it has already been rear-ended once.

Our vehicle:
2001 Ford Focus, hatchback
Kelly Blue Book value: 4,450 – 5,375
25 – 28 mpg city
31 – 36 mpg highway
Seats up to 4

Who we are: At the time of accident, this vehicle carried 2 passengers + heavy load in trunk/back seats. The car has been paid off and has never been in an accident. Between my partner and myself, we share 15 years of daily bicycle commuting, totaling over 30,000 miles of cycling.

The costs of the accident:

For the SUV driver: Perhaps minor adjustment to her insurance premium.

For us: paying for damages out of our pockets, plus the cost of SUV driver’s deductible (insert costs here). The accident will also log up to 30 miles of carbon emission by our car, for repairs and inspections.

One last thing: in confirming your contact information, I inadvertently discovered that Mr. Geovanos had provided false information to the Cambridge Police Department, fineable in MA up to $500.

I will not be asking asking for reimbursement for the insurance adjustment made to our insurance policy as a result of this accident – an on-going cost – however, I do expect for Mr. Geovanos to take responsibilities for his action and cover the damages to both vehicles. I will be sending a bill of the total costs to this address (as well as his Montana address), as soon as it has been calculated. I will also provide receipts for proof.

To Ares Geovanos: please consider your actions carefully, next time you decide to purposefully obstruct traffic. You’re very fortunate that the rest of us cared enough to protect your safety.

Sincerely,

—–

(For those of you that are curious – the damages to our car came to just over $2,400.)

12 Comments »

1. h4ckw0r7h Said,

February 5, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Interesting, Google’s already picked this up. Hah!

2. perez Said,

May 19, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

maybe you shouldn’t have taken your eyes off the road? just a thought. the information about the drivers/contents of the cars/passengers — since no one was hurt, kind of irrelevant. perhaps this woman is also startled easily, since she had already been rear-ended once in her short ownership of the SUV.

as an avid cycler myself, i sympathize with your frustration, but there are two sides to every story, and i think its unfair of you to slander this individual to air your own personal vendetta. you don’t need to mention him by name. there are plenty of other rants on here as good examples.

respectfully yours, P

3. perez Said,

May 19, 2010 @ 10:55 pm

PS nice diagram

4. yourstruly Said,

May 27, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

May I argue that my eyes were on the road – just a different part of the road where attention was needed (going around taxi, immediately followed by going around the cyclist to avoid injuring him)? I simply cannot look in three different directions as once. I avoided two accidents, one of which could have resulted in serious injuries (car into flesh/bone).

slander |ˈslandər|
    the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person’s reputation

I disagree that this post is slander. Everything I wrote here is supported by legal documents – in fact, they were submitted as support documents to this case. He was cited that night. I was found <50% at fault by the State of Massachusetts. I have been dealing with this issue now, on and off, for 18 months (just received word about a week ago with resolution to my case), a serious time suck that resulted from his actions.

I don't -need- to mention him by name. I made a -choice- to do so. Every action has consequences. What I wrote describes the consequences that I had to manage as a result of his actions. Mr. Geovanos is welcome to comment on this post (last I checked folks can comment freely to this blog – I'll check again to make sure of that) and disagree with anything I wrote here, and I would welcome any docuemntation that supports his claims.

Will you explain what you believe my 'personal vendetta' was? I do appreciate your comment and enjoy a good debate!

5. Ares' Legal Counsel. Said,

August 2, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

First sir, in my legal opinion, you are a pompous, sniveling crybaby. The way you handle personal matters is to air dirty laundry over an anonymous forum? Very brave of you. Are you under the impression that by posting this you are doing society a grand justice by warning them of this insidious person, hell-bent on creating city-wide chaos through a grass-roots campaign of mayhem? Or are you just racist towards Greeks? I see, keep them in the diners where they belong! Dont let them wander the streets of my foofy ivy-league fantasy land! Really makes you wonder what your real motives are…

Some observations:
    -One wonders right away why you resolved to handle this matter by writing a letter to the parents of a man in his mid-20’s? Seems like a strategy employed by a 7 year old.
    -You mention you had not been in your car for 3 weeks. Perhaps your driving skills were a bit rusty. I know after a long vacation where I do not use my car I feel a bit nervous at first. Sounds like your reckless disuse of your vehicle for an extended period of time might be the real culprit.
    -“The SUV swerved…” Sounds reckless, could he not have “proceeded with caution” instead?
    -You can complain all you want, but the onus of vehicular separation lies squarely on the second car. No judge in the world will take your side as YOU hit the other car. You should have maintained proper distance. Sayin’
    -Ares “cheered” because upon an immediate lightning-quick assessment, he realized no one was seriously hurt. Being the humanitarian that he is, he was overcome with joy and expressed it in an auditory manner.
    -Kind of interesting that the woman has only made one payment on her minature monster-truck and has already been rear-ended twice. Little break-happy?
    -I find you biking history/accomplishments irrelevant. As long as we’re sharing though, I won the Pinewood Derby in Boy Scouts in 2nd grade. Swish!
    -You cannot ask for compensatory damages to your vehicle if you’ve made an insurance claim. The insurance company can (and certainly will), but that has nothing to do with you.
    -Lastly, the fact you agreed to pay $2400 for repairs to a car worth less than $4000 (Kelly Blue Book is notorious for overvauleing cars) is mind-boggling. Perhaps you should have logged an extra “carbon mile” to another body shop to get a second opinion.

To summarize:
    -You are an awful driver
    -You are a coward
    -You had the bad luck of driving behind someone who was, amazingly, a WORSE driver than you
    -Ares Geovanos is a cultural warrior

And before you decide to write back, this was not a debate, this was me vanquishing every shred of your argument with much vigor. Have fun on your crusade.

6. yourstruly Said,

August 2, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Thank you for taking so much time to reply. You’re entitled to your opinion, and as I wrote before, this is an open blog, and people can comment as they wish. You may have noticed that I did not have to Approve your message.

To reiterate: every word I wrote was documented on paper, with witnesses to the event, by the Cambridge Police Department. I have not written a single word of personal attack. “His idocy” refers to the act which caused the accident, not his character. He may be the “cultural warrior” that you say he is. That is fine by me, and does not change the facts. The two are not mutually exclusive.

As you have not treated me with equal respect and have repeatedly attacked my character in your message, this is all the energy I will return to you.

7. Ares' Legal Counsel. Said,

August 2, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Thank you kindly for your magnanimity. We all appreciate that you left this “open” so that we may parry and thrust with you concerning this matter. I also appreciate that you have saved your vitriol, and instead voiced your opinion in a polite and professional manner. Actually I do not, for at the end of the day, by choosing to take matters into your own hand and “blog like no one’s blogged before!” you’ve accomplished nothing except looking like a dick. Its not that I refute your recollection of the events, its that I do not care, nor does anyone else for that matter. The only reason I have engaged you thusly is that Mr. Geovanos is paying me handsomely to do so! He may not know that yet, but he will get an invoice.

I’m sure your “partner” is happy that you saved your energy for him, and did not expend it on an inconsequential internet message board debate.

…VANQUISHED.

8. Ares' Legal Counsel. Said,

August 3, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

Is this you?

9. incredulous Said,

September 2, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

really, writing a letter to his PARENTS? you’re hilarious. thanks for making my day.

10. yourstruly Said,

September 2, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Yes, it was the address he provided to the police officer, and the only complete address given to me.
    Happy to hear that this little note made your day. It’s the least I can do.

11. mighty aphrodite Said,

September 10, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

to Ares’ Legal Counsel — MARRY ME

12. tru617 Said,

December 30, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

welcome to mass, learn how to drive ya queers

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI