Mics! Cameras! Powerpoint slides!
Last night Livable Streets Alliance Director Steve Miller and Boston Bikes Director Nicole Freedman spoke at the Boston Public Library to give the 2009 Boston Bike Report. The presentation was enjoyable: this was the first time I had sat in a Boston Bikes event, and I was
1. not bored by the historical ‘catch-up’ content, even though the info was familiar
2. engaged by both speakers’ ability to carry the crowd comfortably
3. impressed by the logistical fluidity of the whole production
My takeaways/event highlights:
- Valet Bicycle parking by MassBike – yes, the gentleman stood outside in the cold for 2.5 hours to ensure the safety of my bicycle.
- Boston Bike Share program coming in July 2010, if all goes well, which is sooner than I suspected
- Art Rack competition some time in 2010, maybe similar to this?
- MassBike’s Executive Director David Watson shared info on their education program: Same Road Same Rules
I am most excited about the SRSR initiative. My Polyanna vision is that all cyclists grow up to ride to this guide. If we get them young, it could work, right? Of course, the car drivers have their guide, too, but let’s play nice and earn their respect.